Meatyard Ybor, located at 1728 E. 2nd Ave., is an exciting renovation of one of Ybor’s treasured warehouses into 50+ affordable art workspaces and gallery space. The facility is named in honor of Jerry Meatyard, an Ybor artist and professor at Hillsborough Community College Ybor Campus from 1969 to 2001.
March 19, Tampa Arts Alliance held an open house to show residents in the area, and artists across the region what this could offer the creatives that have made this area such a desirable place to live. Architect and photographer Fadi Garcia is working on the renovation and restoration of the former Dave & Gordon Co. building.
Creating a space for artists in the city of Tampa
The developers behind the concept realize that rents are on the rise here in the Tampa Bay region, and they want to carve out an affordable space for artists in one of the area’s emerging neighborhoods. Developers say it’s too early in the approval processes to estimate rent costs for studios.
You can follow Tampa Arts Alliance on Facebook on updates for more open houses.
What to read next:
- Howard Frankland Bridge expansion to be completed by 2025
- Flirt Wax Bar brings laser hair removal, microblading to South Tampa
- Mad Hatter’s Gin and Tea Party coming to Tampa this summer
- Brightline eyes Ybor City for new train terminal
- Crumbl Cookies opening new location in South Tampa