Shaq is an NBA Hall-of-Famer, celebrated commentator on TNT, a touring DJ, and just one of the best pop culture icons of all time. The super athlete is also a savvy businessman, and he’s bringing his Big Chicken empire to the Sunshine State in the coming years. Fox 35 reported that Shaq signed a deal with Panhandle Restaurant Group back in April 2022 to bring the concept to North Florida. Creative Loafing and Sun Sentinel now report that Shaq has signed a deal with DMD Ventures which will bring Big Chicken to Orlando, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami in addition to the Tampa Bay region.
Opening timelines for these locations is still TBA. Founded in 2018, Big Chicken is backed by a dream team of partners; JRS Hospitality, an accomplished Las Vegas-based ownership group; Authentic Brands Group, a multi-national, multi-billion-dollar brand development, marketing and entertainment company; and Hall of Fame basketball star Shaquille O’Neal.
Shaq’s Big Chicken opening myriad locations in Florida
Big Chicken fuses O’Neal’s home-cooked childhood favorites with today’s trending flavors. From crispy chicken sandwiches and tenders to Cheez-It® crusted mac n’ cheese and hand-crafted ice cream shakes, each menu item tells a story all while offering guests an inside look into the life and personality of Shaquille O’Neal.
The chain is also known for its frosty root beer sourced from Big Dog’s Brewing Company, and use 100% California Dairy for their frozen treats. Big Chicken also uses The Naked Truth premium chicken. The protein is preservative free and humanely raised with no cages, no hormones, and no antibiotics. Shaq’s love of BBQ influences Big Chicken’s array of sauces.
Celebrated entrees and fried chicken sandwiches at Big Chicken:
- Big & Sloppy: Mac & cheese, crispy fried onions, roasted garlic bbq aioli
- Uncle Jerome: Nashville hot chicken, lettuce, mayo, pickles
- Shaq Attack: Pepper jack cheese, jalapeño slaw, spicy chipotle bbq sauce
- Fried Chicken Sliders: Crispy chicken served SHAQ’S WAY: white american cheese and ketchup
- Chicago Sammie: Buffalo hot sauce, blue cheese, mayo, slaw
- Grandma’s Banana Pudding: Banana pudding ice cream, vanilla wafer cookie
What to read next:
- New air taxis coming to Tampa in 2024
- Port Tampa Bay receives $12.6 million grant
- Angry Chair Brewing opening in new location
- Bucs Beach Bash planned ahead of season opener
- Hillsborough River State Park to transform into Haunted Woods