The city of Tampa is cementing its commitment to micro mobility by making it easier for residents to purchase electric bikes (eBikes). Applications for a new eBike voucher program are open now on the city’s website. Vouchers provided through this program range in value from $500 to $2,000 based on the voucher type and the applicant’s income qualifications.
To qualify for the program, applicants must live within the City of Tampa city limits and be eighteen (18) years of age or older. In addition to meeting the application requirements above, program applicants must also agree to:
- Use the eBike purchased as part of the program to replace vehicle trips
- Purchase an eBike using the voucher at one of the participating program bike shops
- Maintain ownership of the eBike for one (1) calendar year from the date of receipt of the eBike
- Use the eBike for personal use only
- Provide basic maintenance for the eBike for a minimum of one (1) calendar year from the date of receipt of the eBike
- Participate in three (3) surveys over the course of one (1) calendar year from the date of receipt of the eBike
Electric bike vouchers chosen by lottery system in Tampa
One of the key goals guiding the design of the eBike Voucher Program was to aid individuals in obtaining reliable and affordable transportation to work. Income- qualified vouchers are double the value of their standard voucher counterparts to provide additional assistance to those who qualify. eBikes obtained through this program can serve as full trip replacement options or a first-mile/last-mile transit solutions.
To qualify for participation in this program bike shops must meet the following criteria:
- Business must be brick-and-mortar (eBike vouchers awarded as part of this program will not cover the purchase of any online sales)
- Business must be located within the City of Tampa boundaries (interactive map of the city limits)
- Business must sell eBikes at the indicated physical location
Business must be capable of providing on-site maintenance for eBikes
- Business must agree to provide a helmet to each voucher recipient at no cost
Recipients of vouchers will be chosen via a lottery system. The application window closes on April 14, and you can apply today on the city’s website.
What to read next:
- The best Easter Brunch Spots in Tampa
- Delanie’s Lemonade Stand featured on Good Morning America
- Three Tampa restaurants added to the MICHELIN Guide
- Seltzerland Tampa takes over Willa’s this April
- Alaturka is one of the hottest new restaurants in the Tampa Bay Area