Tampa residents love their tacos. The city, and the entire region already enjoy a plethora of taco options (our personal favorite being Jimmy’s Tacos and/or Don Julio’s), and it looks like another major name is joining the roster of foodie options: Torchy’s. This Texas-based taco joint is renowned in Texas, and residents in the area who have tried it before on trips are buzzing about the expansion. This restaurant will open in neighboring St. Pete at 2314 Tyrone Blvd N on January 30, in the same area where a new Portillo’s recently debuted.
Torchy’s Tacos was born in Austin, Texas in 2006, when a man with a dream bought a food trailer and set out to change the taco game forever. Torchy’s elevates the traditional street taco with unique flavor combinations made completely from scratch, with high-quality ingredients from around the world. Coined by Torchy’s earliest fans who could often be overheard saying, “Damn, these tacos are good,” Torchy’s lives to serve Damn Good tacos, queso and margaritas and support the communities it calls home.
Torchy’s Tacos brings Texas breakfast to Tampa Bay
To celebrate the new restaurant, Torchy’s will host a preview party on Monday, January 30 from 5pm-8pm, where the community is welcome to attend and enjoy a complimentary meal, including tacos, queso, beer samples, beverages and more.
And the party doesn’t stop there! Torchy’s is also kicking off grand opening day on Feb. 1 by offering the first 100 guests in line at 10 a.m. on opening day a limited-edition Torchy’s Restaurant Opening T-Shirt, which will grant the lucky TacoJunkie a year of free Green Chile Queso each time they wear it to the Tyrone location.*
“Torchy’s is focusing on building out our east coast presence and Florida really hit the mark for us in terms of its incredible growth, passionate food scene and laid-back culture,” said Mike Rypka, founder and CEO of Torchy’s Tacos. We’ve been wanting to come to the Sunshine State for a while now and are pumped to finally be opening our St. Petersburg location. Come check us out at our preview party, and definitely make sure you’re there on opening day to score some free queso!”
Enjoy award-winning queso at Torchy’s
Guests can enjoy options such as the Crossroads taco, award-winning Green Chile Queso and Torchy’s Taco of the Month while sipping fresh-made margaritas and signature cocktails in the 3,740-square-foot space and outdoor patio. At Torchy’s, every taco, queso and margarita is hand-crafted and made-to-order.
Highlights of the Tyrone Torchy’s Tacos menu include:
- Damn Good Tacos: Torchy’s inventive taco creations served on fresh, housemade corn or flour tortillas like Green Chile Pork featuring pork carnitas, green chiles and cotija cheese, Baja Shrimp made with fried shrimp, cabbage slaw and pickled onions, the famous Trailer Park inspired by Torchy’s beginnings in an Austin food trailer with fried chicken, green chiles, lettuce, pico de gallo and cheddar jack cheese (or make it “trashy” by removing the lettuce and adding Green Chile Queso) and many more
- Breakfast Tacos: Served all day long, with options like The Wrangler made with cage-free eggs, smoked beef brisket, potato, cheese and tomatillo sauce, Migas made with cage-free eggs, corn tortilla strips, green chiles, avocado, pico de gallo and cheese, and more
- Taco of the Month: Torchy’s ever-changing monthly promotion of unique and mouth-watering tacos that keep Taco Junkies guessing and relishing year-round, with a portion of proceeds benefiting Torchy’s charitable partners including the Make-a-Wish Foundation, MD Anderson, and Phoenix House
- Flavorful Sides: Including Green Chile Queso + Chips, Juan’s Refried Beans, Street Corn and fresh-made guacamole and salsa
- Freshly Squeezed, Hand-shaken Margaritas and Local Brews: Happy hour runs Monday-Friday from 3-6 p.m. for dine-in. Also stop by on Saturday & Sunday to enjoy Weekend Cures discounts ranging from $4.75 – $6.50
Growing the Torchy’s team
The Torchy’s Tyrone restaurant is currently hiring for all positions including cashiers, bartenders, food runners, expo, prep, grill cooks and dishwashers. Those interested in living the taco dream can visit their website or stop by the restaurant to apply.
The restaurant’s hours of operation are:
- Monday -Friday: 10am – 10pm
- Saturday: 9am – 10pm
- Sunday: 9am – 9pm
What to read next:
- The Rollin’ Mullet opens in February in Seminole Heights
- Florida State Fair announces new rides and wild desserts
- Innings Music Festival takes over Raymond James Stadium
- Photography museum opening in historic Ybor City
- Codeboxx transforms Tampa into a major tech hub
- The Gasparilla Pirate Fest Guide