It’s official. The new name for the TPA Flamingo sculpture is: Phoebe. Anyone think Lisa Kudrow will show up at the official ceremony? After more than 65,000 entries, thousands upon thousands of votes, and some fun discourse on social media, our beautiful pink icon has a name.
Here’s the full announcement from TPA: “37,000+ VOTES ARE IN AND THE WINNER IS PHOEBE. We received 65,000+ entries in our Name the Flamingo contest. Public voting took place last weekend on the finalists. Bryan M., the winner of our contest, will receive the prizes from @silver_airways and @BuschGardens“
Phoebe received 16,122 votes with Cora coming in a close second at 14,341 votes. Finn finished in third place with 6,779.
Bryan M., 63, is a retired educator and the winner of our contest. He submitted Phoebe with the following reason: “A play on Phoenicopterus – the flamingo’s scientific name ‘Phoebe’ is also a playful alliterative to flamingo and means brilliantly inquisitive. The overall ‘Home’ sculpture is literally brilliant and reveals the flamingo’s inquisitiveness as it hunts for food in the shallows.”
The 21-foot flamingo, located in the Main Terminal, has become a meeting point and photo destination for travelers, tourists and locals alike. This colorful, floor-to-ceiling sculpture created by artist Matthew Mazzotta is hard to miss.
While the formal title of the art piece is “HOME,” the artist and TPA agreed the flamingo needs a name – and to let you choose what that name will be in a Name The Flamingo Contest.
Along with christening TPA’s fabulous feathered friend, the winner of the free Name The Flamingo Contest has some stellar prizes:
- 4 nonstop, roundtrip tickets for themselves and 3 companions on Silver Airways
- A VIP Experience package to Busch Gardens, including 4 single-day admission tickets, 4 All Day-Dining passes, 4 Quick Queue Unlimited passes, and preferred parking
- A chance to bask in the limelight at a reveal event for the new name in TPA’s Main Terminal.
What to read next:
- The Brisket Shoppe may be the best restaurant in Tampa
- Sir Henry’s Haunted Trail returns to Plant City
- Tampa Brewery named one of the best in Florida
- Sweetgreen opening in Tampa Heights
- Shortwave Coffee officially open downtown
- Straz Center New Year’s Eve Party is a concert on the Riverwalk