Of course, we love Tampa around here. But what about it specifically do we so enjoy? Well, thanks to the internet, we have a good idea of what everyone loved most about Tampa in 2021. These 10 stories (and three guides) were your favorites in the year that was, and appropriately enough, the subjects were all over the place. In a good way.
The most read articles and guides on That’s So Tampa last year show a love for new restaurants, an appreciation for craft beers, and a desire to get out there in the city to have fun with family and friends. Readers even showed an interest in grocery shopping.
And as popular as these stories were, you may still have a missed a few. 2021 was a little wild, so consider this a chance to catch up in case you missed any of the excitement. These are the top 10 stories and top three guides from That’s So Tampa in 2021.
- Howard Frankland – Construction (and closures) of the Bay’s most-traveled bridge was big news.
- Santoro’s Pizzeria – Bringing New Jersey-style pizza to Tampa, the new joint was a hit in its first year.
- Don Julio’s – The popular spot for authentic Mexican cuisine debuted some new menu items in 2021, and the reviews are clear – Tampa loved them.
- White Castle opens in Florida – The biggest White Castle in the world is also the first one in Florida, and it opened in Orlando in 2021.
- The Battery opens – The fine bourbon bar opened in Sparkman Wharf in the fall of 2021.
- Mr. Dunderbaks – The classic German restaurant and brewery celebrated 50 years of operation in Tampa.
- World’s largest food truck rally – As if Halloween isn’t good enough, Tampa hosted the world’s biggest food truck rally in October of 2021.
- Whole Foods Midtown – The popular fresh food grocery chain opened a massive store in Midtown.
- Pickford’s Counter – The longtime favorite for elevated diner eats was one of our favorite food reviews of the year.
- Dessert Wars – America’s biggest dessert festival took place at the Florida State Fairgrounds in November.
- Brunch – The most popular meal in Tampa last year was two meals at once, made easy with our guide to the best brunches around.
- Breweries – Finding a good local beer was an important adventure for Tampa in 2021.
- Top taco spots – Tortilla, filling, and maybe a margarita. These were our recs for where to find the good stuff.