Florida is a camper’s paradise. There are so many natural wonders to enjoy in the Sunshine State for both tourists and longtime residents alike. While we do love the kitschy attractions of our major metropolitan areas, on occasion it’s nice to get out in the woods, and there are 5 campsites in particular that are ranked amongst the best in the country. Campspot – the largest booking site for private campgrounds in North America – today released the winners of its 2023 Campspot Awards recognizing the top outdoor resorts in the U.S. and Canada.
The winning properties were selected across 12 unique categories using 70,000 data points and community input, and include campgrounds that offer RV and tent sites, family-friendly amenities, cabins, glamping options and more, with rates starting at just $52/night for RV and tent sites, or $95/night for cabins.
Campgrounds nearest to Tampa are Horseshoe Cove in Bradenton, and Sun Outdoors in Sarasota. Here’s the full list of the best campgrounds in Florida, according to the Campspot Awards:
Pecan Park (Jacksonville, FL) – #7 Best Campgrounds in America
- For travelers looking for stunning views, beautiful weather and a friendly atmosphere, this pet-friendly campground offers that and more, including a fully-stocked fishing lake, a pool area, colorful cottages, as well as nearby beaches and attractions.
- Rates starting at $57/night for RV site, or $104/night for 4-person cabin
Flamingo Lake (Jacksonville, FL) – #5 Best Campgrounds for Pet Lovers
- This campground near the Florida-Georgia border offers the perfect mix of natural beauty and modern sophistication where guests can enjoy amenities like a 17-acre swimming and fishing lake with sandy beaches, or the convenient onsite restaurant.
- Rates starting at $74/night for RV site, $69/night for 4-person yurt, or $95/night for 2-person cabin
Sun Outdoors Sarasota (Sarasota, FL) – #1 Best Campgrounds for 55+ Adventurers
- The perfect choice for any age and any season, this resort provides Sarasota vacation rentals and an active, social winter lifestyle where guests can enjoy a mega-slide, an indoor fitness pool and wellness center, an Olympic-size outdoor heated pool, two bark parks, and much more.
- Rates starting at $76/night for RV site, or $158/night for 2-bedroom vacation rental
Horseshoe Cove RV Resort (Bradenton, FL) – #3 Best Campgrounds for 55+ Adventurers
- Set in a picturesque oak grove along the Braden River, this 55+ resort provides guests with a 12-acre private island park and lighted fishing pier as well as stunning nature trails and a dog walk for pet-owners with more than 470 grassy RV sites and rental properties.
- Rates starting at $52/night for RV site, or $158/night for 1-bedroom vacation rental
Lake San Marino RV Resort (Naples, FL) – #4 Best Campgrounds for 55+ Adventurers
- This 55+ resort is conveniently located in North Naples just minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, with RV sites and vacation rentals available to guests as well as a catch and release pond, shuffleboard, a heated pool and clubhouse.
- Rates starting at $54/night for RV site, or $157/night for 1-bedroom vacation rental
Florida is also home to some of the best beaches in the country. Check out Anna Maria Island, Caladesi Island, and Siesta Beach for great day trips.
What to read next:
- Tampa fish market makes the best crabs on the planet
- Inside Bouzy, a new champagne bar in Tampa
- Gasparilla Festival of the Arts takes over Julian B Lane Park
- The Best Chicken Wing spots in Tampa, according to our readers